Do you have skill gaps and retention issues in your company?
Maybe you have
- employees that struggle to keep up with change or complete tasks that involve reading, writing, math or digital skills
- communication breakdowns
- policies and procedures that aren’t understood or followed
ABEA is the adult learning network in Hamilton. We help people plan and navigate their education and training options. We also work with employers to assist with skills upgrading and training needs for employees.
Employee skills training can improve
- employee retention
- workplace safety
A successful employee is more likely to stay on the job and reduce your employee turn over. But sometimes skills gaps in communication, math or digital technology get in the way. Statistics Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, developed the Canadian Survey on Business Conditions. 37.3% of employers said that they experience obstacles to recruiting and retaining skilled employees (Hamilton by the Numbers, May 2023).
We can help you create a customized training plan to increase your employees’ skills now and for the future.
Our workplace education service can include things like
- a needs assessment to identify potential gaps in a range of foundational skills critical to your company
- upgrading and training suggestions with local contacts
- coordinating a customized training program with local adult upgrading providers
- individual upgrading and educational planning for employees
- a Clear Writing/plain language audit of your documents to ensure they are clear, accessible and easy to understand and use
Connect with ABEA today!
Sara Gill, Executive Director
905-527-2222 x 1
What’s Involved in a Needs Assessment?
An organizational needs assessment is a collaborative process where we
- learn about your workplace
- ask you some guided questions around your training needs
- gather information and feedback from employees from across the company
- propose possible training solutions
We can consult with you about specific skills upgrading needs for your workplace. This could include
- digital skills
- communication skills
- math skills
- skills like problem solving, collaboration and adaptability
We can also help build educational pathway plans for individuals or teams that can include
- skills upgrading
- implementing new digital technologies now or in the near future
- adapting job tasks to include more duties that require more advanced reading, writing and math skills like completing logs, forms, reports or calculations
- interested in adapting your current materials (policies, procedures, etc.) to be clear and easy to use for all employees
- preparing workers for future training or career pathways within your company
We know that retention is a key priority for businesses. Targeted upgrading can be one tool to help you retain workers by helping them meet increased skills demands.
We partner with you to use your business as the foundation for skill-building. Your employees can get customized training to increase their skills, abilities and capacity for growth in your company.
Investing in learning helps your business grow and helps your employees feel valued. You are part of our community and your success is our business.